One of the best ways to use old, soft bananas, is to put them in the banana bread and eat it for breakfast for the entire week 😉 OK, I admit, there are many more good ways to use old bananas, but this is a classic. If you use honey instead of sugar and yoghurt as a butter or oil replacement, you can actually get a decent healthy banana bread. Check the recipe.. (pssst, I am working on a healthier version of this recipe!)
BANANA BREAD WITH HAZELNUTS
makes 1 loaf (around 14 servings)
250 g flour (all purpose or whole wheat)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
150 g sugar (or 100g sugar and 3 TS honey)
60 g butter
2 very ripe bananas (if you need to get rid of third banana, put it in as well)
3 Tablespoons Greek yogurt
100 g toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped + an extra handful for serving
1. In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
2. While preparing the batter, toast hazelnuts on medium heat in your non stick skillet. Wait while they cool down, then chop.
3. In another bowl, mix sugar and butter. While mixing, start adding eggs, one at a time.
4. Add banana pieces to it and combine well. I like to leave some chunks. Then add yogurt.
5. Pour the wet mixture into dry ingredients (1).
6. Prepare a loaf pan with parchment paper, and pour in the mixture. Bake in the preheated oven on 350 F for around 40 min.
Take the bread out of the oven and if you wish, spread some honey and hazelnuts over it.
If you don’t have someone to help you eat the whole bread, freeze few pieces (on the first day). They will be soft and nice as fresh, just take them out of the freezer the at least two hours before you plan on eating them.