These pancakes are perfect summer lunch, with zucchinis as unbeatable inspiration for fast, healthy and delicious meal. I combined them with quinoa, gave them a bit of crunchiness with ground almonds (leave some of those almond pieces when you grind them) and some extra deliciousness with cheese. I put as minimal flour as I could, as you will see in the recipe. Use the gluten free flour blend, and you will have a really healthy meal. And its taste, as well as its appearance, is more than ordinary. At least I hope so 😉
SUMMERY GOURMET PANCAKES (gluten-free)
makes 10-12 pancakes, 4 inches in diameter –
1 medium zucchini (approximately 1,5 cups shredded)
1/2 cup quinoa (1 cup cooked)
1 cup parmesan or other hard cheese
1/2 cup almonds
2 garlic cloves
3/4 cup milk (of your choice)
1/4 cup flour (I used spelt flour, but feel free to use wholewheat, or millet and oat for a gluten-free version)
1 teaspoon baking powder
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil for frying
1. Rinse quinoa and cook in the water for about 10 minutes. Leave it to cool.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, grate the zucchini, salt, and let sit for a while. After some 10 minutes, drain the excess water.
3. In the meanwhile, grate cheese, grind almonds, finely slice the garlic.
4. In a smaller bowl, whisk eggs, combine with milk, give it a pinch of salt.
5. In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, almonds, cheese and garlic.
6. Pour the liquid mixture in the mixing bowl and give it a good stir.
7. Finally incorporate quinoa and zucchinis.
8. Take a nonstick skillet, or a pancake pan if you have one. Pour some olive oil and when it gets hot, start making pancakes by grabbing the batter with a 1/4 heaping cup. Pancakes should be about 3,5-4 inch in diameter.
Since they are not so firm, be careful when turning them on the other side!
Bake them for 2-3 minutes on one side, until a nice crispy rind start to form, then, using a spatula, or with a help of a plate (as in making omelet), turn them and bake for another 1-2 minutes.
9. Repeat with the remaining batter, stacking pancakes on top of each other.
Sprinkle with some fresh herbs or carrot tops (as in the picture) and serve with a salad, hummus, olives, avocado…whatever you like. Enjoy!