Breakfast Bars are a fabulous solution for those busy mornings – You bake them on Sunday and eat throughout the week.
These bars combine oats and quinoa to keep you full for longer and have a few secret ingredients that make them taste like the best dessert!
I have been making Quinoa Bars quite regularly, following this recipe from simply quinoa. Although I like adding fruits to my Quinoa Breakfast Bars, I wanted to create a different version of it – suitable for winter season, but still packed with wonderful flavors…
I played around with some dried fruits and some other add-ins (as you will see in the recipe) to create a wintery flavor, then added some toasted coconut and raw chocolate drizzle to them (‘cos coconut and chocolate can make anything taste great!) – and so the new Coconut Quinoa Breakfast Bars were created.
These bars are soft, a bit chewy, perfectly moist and so rich in flavor. Although they are not as firm and as easily portable as the ones based only on oats (or the store-bought ones), they are still such a great choice for a school/office snack – just place them in a lunch box. My kids approved! 😉 And dont’ even have to say they are a perfect oprtion for a quick nutritious breakfast that can be made ahead.
What are you waiting? Check the recipe and get baking!
Post your creations on Facebook by tagging me @Culinary postcards – Kulinarske razglednice
or using #culinarypostcards on Instagram.
recipe by Iva S. – culinary postcards
Prep time: 5 min > Cooking time: 35 min (not counting time to cook quinoa) > Total time: 40 min
– makes 8 bars –
1 cup cooked (white) quinoa
1 cup oats
1/2 cup coconut
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 ripe banana
2 Tbsp almond butter (can be subbed w peanut butter)
1 Tbsp fresh orange juice
zest of 1 orange
2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp goleden flax seeds + 6 Tbsp water > stirred well and left to sit for 10 min)
3 Tbsp goji berries (optional)
1/2 tsp vanilla powder (or extract)
raw chocolate drizzle (optional)
3 Tbsp coconut oil
3 Tbsp cacao
2-3 Tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 9″x 9″ baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine cooked quinoa, oats, coconut, sugar, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, mash the banana, then add nut butter, flax eggs, orange juice and zest, goji berries and vanilla. Stir until smooth.
- Add the dry mix to wet mix and combine verything together until fully incorporated. The batter should be thick but moist.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until the bars are golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove and let cool completely in the pan.
- While bars are cooling, make the raw chocolate by combining all ingredients in a small pot on bain maire. Drizzle immediately.
- Let chocolate set (if you are in the hurry, place it in the fridge for 5 min), then remove bars from the pan and slice into rectangles.
- Bars can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
P.S. If you like more recipes with quinoa, make sure to check these delicious Soft Quinoa and Apple Cookies or these Summery Gourmet Pancakes for a savory treat. For more recipes type “quinoa” in search and choose your favorite!